The Consensus Civility Award highlights people who have worked across differences to solve problems. Consensus is a nonprofit organization that engages the public in difficult public policy decisions. Our research shows that whether this happens in a civil manner depends on the people, the process, and how the problem is addressed. The awards breakfast will be held at 7:30 a.m. on Election Day, Tuesday, November 8, in the Greenlease Library at Rockhurst University. The deadline for nominations is September 2, 2016. Use this brief form to submit your nomination: 2016 Consensus Civility Award nom form (1).
Nominees can be individuals (youth, adult, lifetime achievement), organizations or projects and events. See below for criteria. For more information or if you have questions, contact Julia Vargas, Civility Awards Committee chair, at Julia.Vargas@rockhurst.edu.
The Civility Awards breakfast has become known for its ability to inspire and unite. Coming at the end of a fractious election season, the event will be especially welcome. To reserve your seat: https://civilityaward2016.eventbrite.com. Tickets are $30, or $210 for a table of eight. Sponsorships are available, as well, and funds go to support the mission of Consensus. For more information: 2016 sponsorship info – FINAL.
Our criteria include:
- Exhibits respect for others and their viewpoints, even when they disagree.
- Builds and maintains trust, and fosters a sense of shared responsibility.
- Motivates others to participate and engage in public life.
- Creates an open, welcoming and participatory environment.
- Works from a foundation of facts when making decisions.
- Common ground. Works to remove the “us against them” barrier in addressing problems, and seeks common ground.
To see a list of previous Civility Award winners please visit http://www.consensuskc.org/civility-award/